So this last weekend we moved into a new apartment, our first apartment after moving back to the US from Roatan. We have made a number of moves in my life. Across a city, across a state, across oceans. And I have learned a few things about moving. My best advice: make a “Day of Moving Kit” – this contains everything that you need so start setting up house. In our family this is the kit that mama is in charge of on moving day. It contains everything I need to get the house ready as hubby and whoever else is awesome enough to help bring in boxes. (FYI this post contains affiliate links, which means if you click thru and make a purchase illistyle gets a small percentage. Thank you for supporting illistyle.)
Here’s what I keep in my “Day of Moving Kit”:
- Notebook & Pen – you will have to take notes, what you need to buy for the house, things to ask/tell the landlord, reminders for yourself.
- Sharpie – there always seems to be a reason to have a sharpie around like relabel boxes as you organize or make signs to direct the pizza delivery guy.
- Shelf paper – after you have cleaned and before any cups or plates are in the shelves, get your shelf lining paper in there to protect your goods.
- Scissors / box cutter – trim the shelf paper, open packages, and make a playhouse for the kids out of empty boxes.
- Trash Bags
2. Cleaning Supplies
- Dish gloves – you have no idea what you might find. What the last tenants might have left behind the fridge, or in the bathroom, or under the sink. You do not want to be touching that. Yuck.
- Broom / Dust Pan / Vacuum / Mop – Get those floors sparkling clean so your family, furniture, and any possessions that get set on the floor do not come away nasty.
- Mr Clean Magic Erasers – clean the stove and the bath or shower in a snap.
- Lysol wipes – kill any germs that remain.
- Rags / Paper Towels – bring ’em, You’ll need ’em.
- Small finishing nails or picture hanging supplies
- Phillips Screwdriver
- Flat head screwdriver
- Allen wrenches
- Measuring tape
4. Don’t forget
- Snacks – moving is hard work and you do not want to run out of steam after a few hours. I like almonds and apples for a quick bite that lasts.
- Coupons for the pizza place – feed those helpers who have been slaving away. They will thank you, eventhough you are thanking them… it’s crazy how that works.
- Water – I buy a flat of water bottles and put them on the kitchen counter. When the guys drop off a load I offer them some water. Well-hydrated helpers means productive helpers.
- Entertainment for kids – little one find the “carry this for mommy” game to become boring after a very short while. I find that my laptop with a new movie, the ipad or kindle, and some barbies or legos set up in one corner of the livingroom to be VERY helpful.
- The kids – you have so much to keep track of on moving day. Make sure these are on your list too 🙂
What’s in YOUR moving day kit?
This post contains affiliate links, which means if you click through and make a purchase illistyle receives a small percentage and you pay the same amount. Thank you for supporting illistyle.