Guess who is back for round 2 of the White Elephant Gift Guide? Yep, My man….
Hey guys, as promised, here’s my gift recommendations for your next White Elephant Party.
(If you are wondering what that is, or how to do it, check out my post from yesterday.)
After 20 years of White Elephant here are some of the best White Elephant Gift Ideas I have seen:
Simple, Popular ideas:
- Starbucks Gift Cards (most popular item by far)
- Amazon Gift Cards (can buy online, print and bring, easiest gift)
- Something unique from your house you don’t want but that is still awesome
- Target “Dollar Spot” Items
- Movie Passes
Now for those of you that want unique and creative ideas, here are my favorites from years past:
- Hamster- I have done this a couple times, purchased a hamster and a hamster ball and placed it in a big bag. The look on the person’s face as they pull it out is hilarious. For all you PETA people, every year the hamster has gone to a good home. So this is humane and awesome. Win win.
- Moon Property– Technically it is a scam, and
ifwhen we colonize the moon, I doubt the legality of these certificates, but they make a great gift. For a low price you can buy an acre of land on the moon. You get a map of your property (mine overlooks the Sea of Vapors), and a bunch of certificates to prove you are a land owner.
- White Elephants- It seems every year someone brings a large white elephant, get it? Often times this item will resurface for many years… the wife says to check Home Goods or thrift stores for one of these.
- The Kosher Cookbook of Imaginary Animals– Greatest cookbook there is! Full Disclosure: I am the author… but totally not biased at all.
- Thinkgeek.com- Huge collection of geeky toys and clothing, lots of fun ideas at reasonable prices.
- Wrapped box- sometimes the fun is in opening the box. I have seen a wooden box that required a screwdriver to open, gift cards encased in a block of ice, etc
- www.Mcphee.com – some of the weirdest most eccentric ideas. When I plan a White Elephant, I usually spend $60 bucks here to get my extra gifts
- A giant log- it was the biggest present, everyone wanted it, and it went quick, after getting unwrapped it was just a huge stump and was quite funny.
Tips for wrapping:
- Try to make your gift look like something else – example: if you cut a slit in a Coca-Cola bottle and slide a gift card inside then wrap that… someone will be happy when they get stuck with a $1 beverage.
- Wrap a lame gift really nicely – this is a game that involves stealing… a bit of deception is always encouraged
- If you are the person hosting/MC’ing and are bringing multiple gifts (see explanation of why you would do that here) wrap them all diffidently no need tipping everyone off to the good gifts!
What’s the best White Elephant gift you’ve ever seen given?